Is there a point for Twitter?

There are a lot of discussions about the effectiveness of Twitter as a marketing tool and I myself have long questioned its validity seeing the crap load of Twitter accounts.

Recently Toronto-based social media analytics company Sysomos, a media monitoring and analytics firms, scanned 1.2 billion messages that were sent in August and September 2009 to try and get some idea of the kind of conversations that are going on.

The result is simple, 71% of tweets get absolutely no response from the world!


It was also found out that more than 7 in every 10 tweets sink without any kind of reaction from the world while just 6% get re-tweeted, and 92% of those re-tweets occur within the first hour. So basically once the first hour is up, your message is ancient history.

That leaves 23% of messages that get an @reply. Drilling down, Sysomos found that 85% of replied-to messages get just one reply, 10.7% get two, and just 1.53% get three replies. Similarly to re-tweets, 96.9% of @replies are posted within an hour of the original tweet.

Do you think your tweets get lost too?

10 comments:

  1. And on Facebook it must be much higher than Twitter I think. My Facebook feed is always full of friends commenting on friends statuses but never on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Oman Intelligence,
    I don't twitter - and I won't twitter. It makes me nervous :-) On Facebook I limited the amount of 'friends' very carefully, so I do connect to new people, but only when I'm convinced that I can learn something from them - and vice versa. Have met a very few of them in person - as acquaintances - and it was really fine, no error among them. But to twitter I don't have the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. actually I'm a big fan of twitter!
    I wasn't active in it untill I started to follow interesting people and engage in casual conversations with them!
    it works for marketing and socializing as well.
    many tweetups have been made talking about local muscati tweeps :D
    and I personally got many clients through twitter for my own business as well as knowing interesting people and socializing!
    it's not about tweeting crap every 2 seconds!
    depends on your way of using it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ph one more thing! twitter is very updated!
    it's all about the updates!
    I know about news once they happen at their location before they r published on the news or even forums of some sort.
    facebook is slower coz it's more than status updates. where as twitter is focused on tweets = status updates.
    that's why i love it, keeps u updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have some mixed comments here; we all have our favourite networks and platforms for whatever the reason. It is true that there's a lot of scam out there but also, as Maria says, Twitter keeps you updated faster than most other media. And yes Maria, i know you love it, what's your average number of daily tweets?;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, that would be alot of wise tweets I guess :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude, this is just hypocrisy. You disagree with twitter but whats that sharing bar with a twitter botton you go there for?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey nano; maybe i wasn't clear but i never said i disagree with Twitter. I have to admit that I'm not its biggest fan but i also use it even if not that much. The point of the post was to get responses whether people agree that most tweets go unnoticed. Do you use it a lot? Do you agree with these stats? Thanks for dropping by anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.