lulz dnt no wut ur tlkn abt

Internet slang is coined and popularised to save time on keystrokes. It saves time to the writer but does it save time to the reader?

It might be really hard especially for older people to understand this "words" and a website was created to help parents get a better understanding of this new language which is widely used across the world. 

Here below is a list of popular internet slang, acronyms or abbreviations which are commonly used by many internet users as well as when sending a SMS.

AAP: Always A Pleasure
AAK: Alive And Kicking
AAYF: As Always, Your Friend
A3: Anywhere, Any time, Any place
ABD: Already Been Done
ABN: *sshole By Nature
ABT: Absolutely, About
AFK: Away From the Keyboard
AYSOS: Are You Stupid Or Something?
B4: Before
BRB: Be right back
BTW: By the way
Cuz: Because
CYA: See you
Dat: That
Der: There
Dunno: Don’t know
G2G / GTG: Got to go
GAL: Get a Life
GFY: Good for you
GG: Good Game, Good Going
HAND: Have A Nice Day
HS: Holy Sh*t!
IC: I See
ILY / ILU: I love you
IMHO: In My Honest Opinion
KL: Kool, cool
L8R: Later
LMAO: Laughing My *ss Off
lol: Laughing Out Loud
M8: Mate
NP: No Problem
Nvm: Never mind
O3: Out of office
OMG: Oh my God! / Oh my Goodness!
OT: Off topic
Plz, Pls:  Please
PPL: People
ROFL: Rolling On the Floor Laughing
SSDD:  Same Sh*t, Different Day
SUP: What’s up?
TTYL: Talk To You Later
W8: Wait
WB: Welcome Back
WTF: What the F**k
YSVW: You are So Very Welcome
YW: You are Welcome

I’m sure i did not include lots of others so feel free to add them, thnx.


11 comments:

  1. Dear Oman Collective,
    now that we are settled in Berlin after our move, I've time to read some blogs. I laughed a lot when a student wrote to me in a Chat: "Mom". I wrote back to him: "Yes dear, go out into the backyard and play - I will call you in when dinner is ready!" Haha - then I learned that "Mom" means "Moment, please"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually resort to urbandictionary.com for the more esoteric stuff I encounter. "ed" is good for memes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice info post, but I bet this is already out of date the rate txters make stuff up

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your blog.
    Very interesting and I have now become a follower.
    Hopefully you will get a lot out of mine also.
    God Bless, Bob
    http://westbob.blogspot.com/2010/05/god-vs-science.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I appreciate your effort to get the whole thing about geek slang. Manitú bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Britta; glad you finally settled in your new home. Did not know about "Mom", quite funny...:)Hope you're not too cold up there!
    Sucio, welcome back; i think there are many dictionaries online but I'll check that one too.
    Hi Leddi, you're probably right, things change on the daily basis.
    Bob and DMIIS, thanks for the visits, will check your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Oman Collective,
    I always thought that Lol means "Lots of Love"! And think I'm right - otherwise have lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Britta, how to reply to your comment if not by saying LOOLL!!! I love your lol better though...;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. my boss says l-o-l at work because she thinks it means lots of love. She's also dumb as fucking paste. so yeah, it makes me laugh out loud when she says that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting post I learned some things. I always use G4U instead of GFY. Oh I just thot of a classic, 143, don't know if it is used outside the Oman and the Gulf much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an informative interesting blog. I was so happy to see others felt the same way. Good read.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.