Wikipedia turns 10

Wikipedia, the online reference tool that allowed countless students to avoid the library, turns 10 years old. Today, and throughout the year, the world will be celebrating with 414 events.

As of today, Wikipedia is the fifth largest Internet commodity with 410 million unique visitors per month. It features some 17 million articles in 270 languages.

But how did it start? In 2001 founder Jimmy Wales said: “The idea here is to write a complete encyclopedia from scratch. Some people think that this may be a hopeless endeavor and that the result will necessarily suck. We aren't so sure. So let's get to work!”

The hope of Jimmy and his colleagues was to tap into the collective wisdom of humanity, by allowing anyone to contribute and to edit articles, and over time add up to the most complete, impartial and accurate information source around. Good thinking.

Of course there’s a dedicated Facebook page where you can check events close to you, and a LinkedIn group, Wikiversary. There’s an interesting video by Jimmy Wales here.

So what's the plan for the next 10 years?

In a conference call with journalists earlier this week, Jimmy Wales and Executive Director Sue Gardner said the goal is to expand the breadth of topics and diversity of voices on the site.

In 2011 and beyond, they want to reach out to more women, older people, experts in the arts and humanities and less-represented geographic areas such as South America.

Well done and good luck.


10 comments:

  1. wikipedia is one of the best things on the internet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it's only been 10 years, I have a hard time remembering the internet without it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wikipedia helped me through highschool with my term papers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Wikipedia :) It has helped me many times

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you like your visit in my blog, has requested a donation, any value can be made by credit card, I await your visit and cooperation, a hug! http://muitoespeciais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's fine for uncontentious things. Like any large endeavor it's susceptible to hijacking - like the AGW editing scandal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well if you all like it so much Donate next time to keep it online!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exceilent blog you have here but I was curious about if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get advice from other experienced individuaIs that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know where I'm going and l know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.Thankyou i really love it. .firefox offline

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.